Last updated on March 25th, 2023 at 10:15 pm
Viper is a security alarm system for vehicles. It can also control your car. Recently, many users reported that their alarm is not locking the vehicle doors.
The issue has various situations. For example, it unlocks the doors but fails to lock them. In other cases, the doors lock and then unlock quickly.
While in some situations, no functions work. All these problems can be fixed easily. This article will guide you fully.
Tip#1. Test the Door Locks
The lock system of your car doors may be faulty. That’s why they unlock but fail to latch. Check the actuators and wiring. Using a Multimeter, you can test the voltage supply.
Moreover, try to lock the doors manually and with the keys. If they close properly, there is no fault in the car. Instead, the remote has some problems.
Tip#2. Check Power Supply
First of all, check the batteries of your Viper remote. The dead or weak batteries may be creating the issue. So, put in fresh and new ones. If your remote does not have any batteries, check its connections.
The security system should be intact. Make sure all the connections and wires are plugged in firmly. Inspect all the wires and replace the damaged ones.
Likewise, rejoin or solder the cables firmly. Examine the driver kick panel. Check the voltage of all the parts with a Multimeter.
Tip#3. Exit Valet Mode
If the alarm is in valet mode, it will not work properly. So, you should disable this mode by the following steps;
- Turn ON the ignition of your car with the vehicle key.
- Do not start the engine or run the car.
- Put your foot on the brake pedal and press it 10 times in 10 seconds.
- The LED on the brain will blink indicating that the system is out of valet mode.
- Turn the ignition ON.
- Press the “Lock” and “Trunk” buttons at the same time on the remote starter.
- Now, wait for the LED to flash twice.
Tip#4. Inadequate Current
If the current is inadequate, the doors will fail to latch. Generally, the alarm system has a 200mA output current. However, higher or lower current causes the problem.
Please measure the current to diagnose the reason. Installing a relay can fix the issue. But, be sure to consult a certified car mechanic or dealer.
Tip#5. Faulty Brain
It is happening that the brain of your Viper system is faulty. First, check all the wiring between the harness and the brain. Repair or replace any faulty wires. The brain is responsible to control the whole system.
So, if it goes defective, the alarm will not work properly. You should contact Viper for support. The company will send you a replacement unit if the product is under warranty.
Tip#6. Incorrect Installation
Another reason is the incorrect installation of the alarm system. Three wires come out of the Viper system and are pinned in the door lock harness.
These include white, red, blue, and green. If any of the wires is missing or not connected, the lock system cannot work. So, confirm that it is installed correctly in your vehicle.
Tip#7. Reset Viper Remote
The best trick is to reset your Viper alarm. It can fix all the issues. Here is the process;
- Point the fob key toward the car when the alarm starts ringing.
- Wait for 6 seconds and let the alarm ring.
- On your key, hit the “Lock” button.
- This will reset the alarm system but will not disarm it.
- Locate the Valet button in your vehicle. It may be at the top or under the dashboard. It may have other locations too.
- Unlock the driver’s door of your car using the key. Do not use the remote starter.
- Do not close the driver’s door and insert the key into the ignition.
- Turn the key to the “ON” position but do not start the engine.
- Now, press and hold the “Valet” button. Release the button when the car horns sound.
- Press and hold the “Valet” button again. Meanwhile, click the “Starter” button on the Viper remote.
- When the car horn chirps, release the Valet button.
- The remote starter has been reset. Use it again to lock the car doors.
Tip#8. Try Another Remote
I would suggest you use another Viper remote if you have one. You can also use the OEM remote given with your car.
If these remotes can lock the doors, you should replace the current remote. Otherwise, the fault is in the security system. This way, you can diagnose the real culprit.
FAQs Related to Viper Alarm
Do you have further queries? Read the following commonly asked questions.
Where is the Valet button located in the Viper alarm system?
The Valet button may be located under the dashboard near the driver’s side. It is either mounted in the trim/kick panel or attached to a wire. Look at the wires that go to the harness. You have to find it on the driver’s side.
What is a ghost vehicle security alarm?
The ghost alarm is silent. So, its location cannot be detected. It is linked to the car’s ECU or brain. The ghost system starts your car only by entering the correct data. Hence, a thief cannot steal the car by replacing the ECU or using the key fobs.
Can I install Viper Connect or the security system myself?
Viper Connect is an easy-to-install device. Moreover, you can activate it yourself. Just create your account and log in to the “SmartStart” app. From the app, you can activate and control the system.
Also Read: Reset Viper Alarm-Troubleshooting Guide
Troubleshooting the Viper alarm is very simple. By applying a few tricks, it will start working normally. However, consult a mechanic or the manufacturer in more complex situations.